Starting pay: $17+/hr plus benefits
After over four years collecting residential food waste for composting, we’re making a huge expansion into commercial collection, and we need to add a team member to drive the big truck!
Little Green Bucket diverts food waste and other organic material from the local landfill, where it emits methane, and instead gives it a second chance as compost, providing invaluable nutrition to local soils. We proudly collect food waste from nearly 1000 families in the Albuquerque area, but the larger volumes processed by our commercial program will increase our positive environmental impact by at least 300% in the first year alone. Our service is filling a void recently created by the suspension of our partner’s similar service, and our initial clients will be a curated subset of their former customers, so we’ll be hitting the ground running.
The successful candidate for this position will start as the primary initial driver for our new commercial service, collecting food waste from throughout the Albuquerque metro area, removing contaminants, and delivering it to our facility partner in the South Valley. They will also guide our commercial members, at the point of service, through both the immediate changes we’re making to their prior service and longer term changes we’ll make as we optimize and scale our workflow.
This position will progress to full time within 6 to 8 weeks, but may start out around 20 hours per week as we phase in clients and train our team. Once the workload exceeds 36 hours per week we will begin rotating in a second driver as needed. There is also potential, for the right candidate, for the position to incrementally evolve to include team leadership, sales, and customer relations.
- Drive our collection vehicle to commercial customer sites
- Swap clean, empty roll carts for full ones
- Collect photo documentation and then remove plastics and other contaminants
- Empty and pressure wash the roll carts at the compost yard
- Engage with customers at the point of service, including re-training them as our service evolves
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to drive a stick shift (training is available)
- Ability to safely drive and back up a large but non-CDL box truck
- Ability to lift 50 lbs regularly
- Ability to repeatedly move wheeled 64 gallon roll carts weighing an average of 300 lbs and occasionally exceeding 400 lbs. (Potential applicants are welcome to make an appointment to try moving a cart and see how it feels).
- Passionate about environmental sustainability and interested in learning about food waste, composting, bioplastics, and related topics.
- Proficient with a smartphone and quick to learn new apps
- Clear communication skills and attention to detail
Pay and Benefits
- $17+/hour starting pay
- Generous sick leave policy for all employees
- Two weeks paid vacation for full time employees.
- Note: We currently don’t offer medical or retirement benefits yet, because we’ve only had part-time employees, but we have pledged to make those benefits available to full time employees no later than January 15th, 2024, and anticipate doing so much sooner.
About our team
Our team does not look like most waste management companies. We are currently 50% LGBTQ+ and 50% female or non-binary. We were born in 5 different decades and arrived at Little Green Buckett via wildly different career, educational and life paths. We believe that environmental sustainability is not sufficient to create a thriving future for humanity; there must be environmental justice, and for that there must also be social justice. We’re proud to practice inclusive hiring, to provide worker-friendly stable jobs paying a living wage, to maintain a safe and flexible work environment and culture, and to continuously improve our employment policies and practices. BIPOC, LGBTQ+, female,and non-binary candidates are enthusiastically encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.