Our drivers are the heart and soul of our compost service, collecting buckets of food waste from homes and small businesses all over Albuquerque and providing the first line of defense against plastic contamination.
Current Driver Needs (Updated November 22, 2021)
- We currently have open driving shifts on Tuesdays (9am until about 3pm), Wednesdays (9am until about 4:30pm), and Fridays (9am until noon, but rapidly expanding).
- Deliver empty buckets and collect full buckets at up to 80 homes per shift (30-60 houses is typical).
- Observe strict sanitation protocols re: Covid-19.
- Report on route irregularities to improve our service.
- Screen compost buckets for plastic contamination while dumping them into larger containers.
- Monitor inventory of supplies and notify management before shortages occur.
- Participate in twice-a-year deliveries of finished compost.
- Field occasional questions from customers and prospective customers.
Hours & Benefits
- Drivers are compensated $0.56 per mile for use of their own vehicle (mileage rate is based on the federal rate and updates each year on Jan 1).
- We aim to complete all pickups between 9am and 4pm, and each shift involves about 30 minutes of prep and 30-60 minutes of post-route work.
- We currently only have part-time employees, so we don’t have a benefits package beyond base pay and mileage reimbursement (and free composting, of course), but we plan to offer a complete benefits package in the future for full-time employees. When that time comes, some of those benefits will be extended to part-time employees.
- A positive attitude, attention to detail, and a demonstrable commitment to environmentalism, recycling, social justice and/or soils.
- Ability to repeatedly lift and carry buckets weighing up to 30lbs.
- A clean driving record and active NM liability insurance.
- An iOS or Android phone or tablet with a data plan and the ability to juggle multiple apps for time tracking, customer checkins, and route navigation.
- A reliable pickup truck. We recently acquired our first fleet van, which is not yet seeing daily use, so we have space for another driver without a truck, but at least 60% of our routes still must be done in personal vehicles.
- Ability to lift larger commercial containers (up to 120 lbs) several times per day
- Knowledge of the recycling or composting industries
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the year/make/model of your vehicle.