Our drivers are the heart and soul of our compost service, collecting buckets of food waste from homes and small businesses all over Albuquerque and providing the first line of defense against plastic contamination.
Current Driver Needs
- We have no immediate openings, but we welcome applications anytime. We will likely hire another driver later in 2020, and we also occasionally need short-term backup support.
- Deliver empty buckets and collect full buckets to up to 80 homes per shift (30-60 houses is typical).
- Observe strict sanitation protocols re: Covid-19.
- Report on route irregularities to improve our service.
- Screen compost buckets for plastic contamination while dumping them into larger containers.
- Monitor inventory of supplies and notify management before shortages occur.
- Participate in twice-a-year deliveries of finished compost.
- Field occasional questions from customers and prospective customers.
Hours & Benefits
- Pay starts at $15/hr
- Drivers are compensated $0.575 per mile for use of their own vehicle
- We aim to complete all pickups between 9am and 4pm, and each shift involves about 30 minutes of prep and 30-60 minutes of post-route work.
- We currently only have part-time employees, so we don’t have a benefits package beyond base pay and mileage reimbursement (and free composting, of course), but we plan to offer a complete benefits package in the future for full-time employees. When that time comes, some of those benefits will be extended to part-time employees.
- A positive attitude, attention to detail, and a demonstrable commitment to environmentalism, recycling, social justice and/or soils.
- Ability to repeatedly lift and carry buckets weighing up to 30lbs.
- A personal vehicle capable of carrying at least 40 four gallon buckets
- A pickup truck or cargo van works great.
- A minivan or SUV might work if it’s large enough and if buckets can be strapped down securely to prevent spills.
- A clean driving record and active NM liability insurance.
- An iOS or Android phone or tablet with a data plan and the ability to juggle multiple apps for time tracking, customer checkins, and route navigation.
- Ability to lift larger commercial containers (up to 120 lbs) several times per day
- Knowledge of the recycling or composting industries
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the year/make/model of your vehicle.