Our drivers are the heart and soul of our compost service, collecting buckets of food waste from homes and small businesses all over Albuquerque and providing the first line of defense against plastic contamination.
Current Driver Needs (Updated January 10, 2022)
- We have a driving shift available on Wednesdays, which is typically 5 to 6 hours and growing.
- Shorter shifts are likely to be available on one or more of our other driving days (Tu/Th/Fr) in the near future, as all of those routes are nearly full.
- Deliver empty buckets and collect full buckets at up to 80 homes per shift (30-60 houses is typical).
- Observe strict sanitation protocols re: Covid-19.
- Report on route irregularities to improve our service.
- Screen compost buckets for plastic contamination while dumping them into larger containers.
- Monitor inventory of supplies and notify management before shortages occur.
- Participate in twice-a-year deliveries of finished compost.
- Field occasional questions from customers and prospective customers.
Hours, Pay & Benefits
- Drivers who use their own vehicles are compensated $0.585 per mile (mileage rate is based on the federal rate and updates each year on Jan 1).
- We aim to complete all pickups between 9am and 4pm, and each shift involves about 30 minutes of prep and 30-60 minutes of post-route work.
- We currently only have part-time employees, so we don’t have a benefits package beyond base pay and mileage reimbursement (and free composting, of course), but we plan to offer a complete benefits package in the future for full-time employees. When that time comes, some of those benefits will be extended to part-time employees.
- A positive attitude, attention to detail, and a demonstrable commitment to environmentalism, recycling, social justice and/or soils.
- Ability to repeatedly lift and carry buckets weighing up to 30lbs.
- A clean driving record and active NM liability insurance.
- An iOS or Android phone or tablet with a data plan and the ability to juggle multiple apps for time tracking, customer checkins, and route navigation.
- A reliable pickup truck or small cargo van is a plus. We do have two fleet vans and a company owned truck, but personal vehicles allow us much greater scheduling flexibility, so applicants with their own work vehicle have an advantage.
- Ability to lift larger commercial containers (up to 120 lbs) several times per day.
- Knowledge of the recycling or composting industries.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the year/make/model of your vehicle, if you have one.