Today marks the beginning of International Compost Awareness Week.
Last year, we celebrated this special week with a compost giveaway at the Downtown Growers Market. Our plans to do the same this year have, of course, been disrupted by Covid-19 and the severe restrictions that have been placed on our local farmers markets. Instead, we’ll be spending the week doing our best to share useful resources here on our blog and on social media.
Here’s a quick outline of our current plan, still subject to change as the week unfolds. We’ll add links here, as well as in subsequent posts, as we publish more content.
- Sunday, May 3: What’s in that pile? The difference between compost, mulch, soil, and dirt.
- Monday, May 4: A mulching demo for gardeners of all ages
- Tuesday, May 5: The Dark Art of the Compost Ratio
- Wednesday, May 6: Should you recycle or compost your waste paper?
- Thursday, May 7: Bioplastics and composting
- Friday, May 8: Composting in Albuquerque: Options and Resources
- Saturday, May 9: The Big Picture: Compost & Society
NOTE: I lost momentum on this blog series, because life is complicated during these Covid-19 times, but I’ll do my best to finish them up in the coming weeks. Most of them just need minor edits and photos to make them publication ready.